Last Updated on
Metal drill bits are specially made out for make hole through the metallic surface. They are also known as high-speed steel (HSS) bits for, and usually come in black color.
Selecting the best metal drill bits can be a hard task for you because there are so many metal drill bits brands available on the market. Always, we try to help you out from this type of situation. And we try to make sure that, you get the best product. We spent more than 3 days to select, research, and writing this review guide.
They are much durable and more expensive than regular drill bits. Let's take a look at the best drill bits for metal.
Top 11 Best Drill Bits for Metal
DeWalt's titanium drill bits have a titanium covering that gives longer life when drilling in non-ferrous metals. These bits are appropriate for drilling in wood and plastic and are perfect for business and private use. Incorporates sizes from 1/6 to 1/2-Inch in a plastic hard case.
Not only Highlighting substantial titanium pilot focuses that start on contact and stops walking. The DEWALT also incorporates normally utilized bits for a scope of metal and wood-drilling applications.
No-turn shanks keeps bits from slipping. And a decreased web conveys serves to expanded strength to lessens breakage. A tough conveying case keeps bits sorted out and all set.
- Titanium Pilot Point for Longer Life.
- Starts on contact for cleaner holes.
- No spin shanks.
- Tapered web provides greater durability to reduce breaking.
- Provides Clean Holes.
- No Possibility of Slippage.
- User Friendly Mechanism.
- Works on lots of materials.
- Sizes may not satisfy everyone.
The Drill America KFD29J-PC KFD Drill Set arrives in a one of a kind round drill list that consolidates structure and capacity into 1 flawlessly planned, simple to convey drill set.
The break confirmation, water safe case fits effectively, anyplace you need it. Easily grasp the set in 1 hand as you would a movement espresso cup, leave it in the cup holder of your truck while in transit to your activity or drape it on your belt when all hands are on deck.
KFD Killer Force Drill Bits are produced from M2 premium evaluation fast steel. For use in a wide scope of materials in the iron and steel families such aluminum, iron, treated steel and other hard metal drilling.
But what makes these the best drill bits for metal? Well, KFD Killer Force Drill Bits have a 135 degree part point tip for self-focusing and lessening push.
Contrasted with a regular 118 degree tip, these drills wont go "strolling" on you. KFD Killer Force Drill Bits are dark and gold surface treated for use in hardened steel and other hard metal drilling.
- Assortment of 29 jobber length drill bits includes inch sizes 1/16" to 1/2" in 1/64" increments.
- High-speed steel (HSS) provides hardness for wear resistance.
- Black and gold oxide finish resists corrosion and increases the hardness of the drill bit.
- Self-centering 135-degree split point penetrates hard material without a pilot hole and produces small chips to reduce clogging.
- Comes in a plastic storage case.
- Attractive Gold and Black Colors.
- Corrosion and Rust Protection.
- Large Assortment of Sizes.
- Promote Chips And Flowing Coolants.
- Plastic Storage Case.
- Relatively Low Number of Bits Per Package.
These best drill bits for metal are developed from conventional HSS joined with a titanium covering. Which make them much increasingly solid.
This likewise demonstrates the capacity and solidness of the drill to keep going through various drillings on surfaces. For example, plastic, aluminum, copper, treated steel, and many more.
Two woodwind configuration likewise lets the material particles escape effectively. Which makes for a substantially more perfect drilling activity. With each progression, you can feel the drill bit stop. So you never drill greater than you have to.
- Classic high speed steel with titanium coating for proven capability and durability.
- Increases cutting speed with self-centering and prevents walking.
- Clears chips faster and allows particles to escape easily.
- Fits into power tools chuck securely and eliminates slip.
- Lots of Different Sizes.
- No chance of slippage.
- Works great on Thinner Metals.
- Budget Friendly.
- Carrying Case is of Poor Quality.
Makita B-65399 is advantageous enough that it will unravel all your Home design worries . The 14 Pieces set is uncommonly intended to drill specific openings.
Such as into ferrous metal, wood, concrete dividers, cast iron, treated steel and so forth. Each drill bit accompanies a covering of Titanium Nitride (TiN).
It endures practically 2.5 times more than non-covered bits. As the entirety of your drill bits are composed in one spot, you simply need to concentrate at work close by. Without stressing over looking for the right one.
It is worked to bear any sort of extreme assignment. The drills have a 135 degrees part point geometry that assures quicker start. Additionally, this element keeps the drill from shifting and keeps it set up.
As the multi-bit set accompanies a convenient case, you can convey it anyplace you go. As it offers a wide scope of the best drill bits for metal. Along with power bits that is minimally pressed in a simple to convey box. So, it is the ideal buddy in your emergencies.
Setting up another house is rarely simple. With such a significant number of setting up tasks, one needs such a set. That is minimal, simple to convey yet utilitarian. Makita B-65399 is one such blessing that is going to come helpful while getting things done.
- Titanium nitride (TiN) coating lasts 2.5x longer than non coated bits.
- 135 degree split point geometry for faster starts and reduced walking.
- Impact rated For use in 1/4 inches Hex impact drivers.
- For drilling holes in ferrous metal, wood, plastic, non ferrous metal, cast iron and stainless steel.
- Optimum cutting and cleaning design.
- Different sizes.
- Different sharpening methods
- Long Life Time.
- Drilling big holes can clog it
Tacklife PDH06A Titanium Step Drill Bit is made of fast steel together will titanium covering. Which gives the bit a long utilizing life.
The sharpness and titanium covering guarantee effective slice through most materials. Such as, steel sheets, aluminum sheets, copper, plastic and wood board and numerous sorts of sheet metal.
The inside punch conveys a programmed, high-sway, spring-stacked strike through changing the top. Its metal body has a knurled surface for nonslip control.
And the carbide tipped bit makes the middle punch multiple times more grounded than an ordinary one. It uses a protective aluminum case to make the drills difficult to dull.
- The step bit set includes five standard step drill bits that can replace 50 individual best drill bits for metal.
- High speed steel makes it last longer than others.
- Delivers an automatic, high-impact, spring-loaded strike through adjusting the cap.
- Double cutting blades and X-type openings design ensures a faster and smoother cutting.
- Very Durable.
- Double Cutting Blades Prove Smooth Results.
- Automatic Center Punch Prevents Slippage.
- Cobalt Minimizes Friction.
- Durable and Well Organized Case.
- Prone to get dirty fast.
The DEWALT DWA1240 14pc Pilot Point Industrial Cobalt Drill Bit Set is intended for greatest speed and life in treated steel and other hard metals.
These bits includes a pilot point and split tip plan that starts on contact and takes out bit strolling along for more control. Normally utilized for drilling into hardened steel, drilling into edge iron, I-Beams, and other comparative metals.
These bits are sharp, tough, and slice through metal as effectively as a wood bit experiences hardwood. The case is really valuable, as it folds and bolts with a slide, something that is by all accounts standard with Dewalt drill bit sets. Drilling through thicker metal is made simpler on the bit and administrator with the expansion of some cutting oil.
Designed for maximum speed and life.
Pilot point and split tip design.
No bit walking - more user control.
Intended to be used on hard metals.
- Lots of different bit sizes.
- Tip that stops walking.
- Durable Base Construct.
- Comparatively fragile for some case.
Starting this list with the most modern set of pilot point durable drill bits, coated with Titanium. This 21 piece bit set will cover all your household needs. They have a good image for making clean holes in the surface.
Titanium Pilot Point is a unique type of tip that has three edges to cut. The center edge is taller than the side ones. When the tip is covered with Titanium, it is called Titanium pilot point. This type of drill bit lasts longer than usual twist drill bits.
These drill bits are very fragile. While working, they can break due to massive rotational force and pressure.
- It can make clean and precise holes.
- Tapered-Web for extreme durability and reduced breaking.
- Highly economical and ideal for household applications. Many construction workers also use them for commercial purpose.
- The Titanium pilot point makes sure the bits last for very long.
- Titanium pilot point for longer bit life.
- Starts on contact for cleaner holes.
- Tapered web for durability.
- It’s ideal for residential applications and commercial use
- No premium drill bits.
- Not strong enough.
Compare With "Kobalt Titanium Metal Twist Drill Bit Set"
Kobalt 21-piece drill bits are also coated with Titanium that’s why they are very durable. But we didn’t include it on our list for the reasons mentioned bellow:
- Not a one piece construction. That’s why it can break from the joint.
- The cutting edge becomes dull very easily after few uses.
- The coating is sticky. That’s why dirt can stick to the drill bit and get rusty very quickly.
- Sometimes they Wooble a bit which prevents the bit from making clean holes.
These drill bit set got positive reviews from everyone who used it. The unique rubber-molded case is a great addition to the set. Irwin is a popular company who makes the best drill bits for metal.
If the set accidentally falls from your hand, the bits won’t be damaged at all due to the rubber molded case.
The bits are hard, but they are liable to break if pressurized more than they require. That’s why it’s better not to use them on hard and tough surfaces.
- Extremely heat resistant. Due to the fast rotational speed of drill, regular bits often get hot and meltdown, especially the cutting edge. But you won’t face this problem with this set.
- The Heavy Duty Web-Construction gives the bit a long life and Strong Body.
- The bits have 5% Cobalt in them for increased lifetime and protection against rust.
- 135-degree split tip ensures that the drill bits stays in the center and don’t walk away from the point.
- 135-degree split tip that minimizes walk.
- 5% Cobalt.
- Heat and abrasion resistance.
- Heavy-duty web construction ensures strength and durability.
- Set’s rubber molded case protects the bits.
- They are little brittle.
This set is mostly suitable for home base projects.In a comparatively low price, you get a bunch of 1-2 inches bits which are a complete pack for your need. Bits are sometimes very fragile. That’s why they should be kept in a hard storage box. A portable storage box also allows taking them anywhere quickly and keeps the bits safe from falling off and losing.
The cutting edge of the tip wears out very easily. Unless you sharpen it, you can’t get a clean hole.
- The bits come in a portable storage case.
- This set contains ideal sizes of drill bits that are often used for household applications and projects.
- Comes with different varieties of drill bits to drill through wood, metal, masonry and plastic.
- The bits are strong enough to face much pressure.
- The cutting edge of the tip wears out very easily. Unless you sharpen it, you can’t get a clean hole.
- Varieties of drill bits for metal, wood, masonry and plastic.
- Cheaper and stronger.
- Bits are not durable.
This Craftsman set has a total of 100 driving, and drilling pieces including Drill stops, bits, Allen key, nut drivers, spade bits, stubby screwdriver, driver bits, and folding case. Many cases can’t keep the pieces inside stacked in their places. But this storage case has a separate compartment that allows the bits and other small pieces to stick to its area. The tips of the bits are very fragile. They quickly split and tears apart. Use carefully on hard surfaces.
- The set has 22 drill bits, 1 Allen Key, three drill stops, 9 Nut Drivers, three spade bits, one stubby screwdriver, and 61 driver bits.
- Lubricants on the bit body to reduce friction and increase efficiency.
- This set has Power drill bits and inserts drill bits to fill your driving need.
- A built-in storage compartment in the case makes sure the bits don’t spill.
- 100 different bits.
- Good for DIY projects.
- Sharp quality.
- Lubed up.
- Tips cracked off.
Last but not the least, it is the best left-hand drill bits set in the market. The bits are coated with Titanium Nitride which makes them extremely durable and suitable to work in any situation.
Titanium Nitride (TiN): Titanium nitride aka TiNite is an extremely hard ceramic substance. They are often used as a coating on titanium alloys, carbide, Aluminum, and Steel components to improvise the substrate's properties.
This set only comes in 7 limited sizes which are not enough to handle all household applications.
- The bits are made of High-Speed M2 Steel for better efficiency on multiple surfaces.
- 135-degree split point twist design prevents walking and increases the cutting speed with self-centering.
- Left-hand design can also be used with a screw extractor to remove broken fasteners.
- Attachable and reversible drills to remove bolts, screws, and studs.
- 135-degree split point to increase cutting speed.
- Left-hand bits made of high-speed M2 steel.
- Titanium nitride coating.
- Attachable to reversible drills to remove bolts, screws, and studs.
- Poor material quality.
Compare With "Titan Tools Left Hand Drill Bit Set"
Both Neiko 10037A and Titan tool are developed for left-handers, but we didn’t add Titan on our list for the following reasons:
- The labeled size is not always accurate.
- The materials used to make the bits are cheap.
- They are extremely fragile as well. It can be very annoying when your bits break in the middle of your work.
You may also like to know
Facts to consider when buying best drill bits for metal
Material: Try to purchase a drill bit that has 5-8% cobalt inside it. Such amount of Cobalt makes the bit more strong and efficient.
Length: Durability depends on length. The toughness of the bit decreases when the length is increased. That’s why shorter cobalt bits are a good choice as they withstand Breaking twisting and spinning.
Size: Make sure to pick a set that includes drill bits of various sizes. Availability of different size can ease up your project.
Tip style: Penetration capacity depends on the tip style. V-Point, Split point, brad point, tapered point and fish points are useful against metal.
How to Choose a drill bits?
Types of drill bit
Types are based on two facts – Material used in the bit, and the coating over the bit.
Material Based type
High Carbon Steels: Drill Bits are made of both high and low carbon steel, but for different purposes. However, Only the High Carbon Steel is used to make drill bits for cutting metal.They have a better temper than low-carbon steels, so they require less maintenance, like sharpening, and hold their effectiveness and last longer.
High-Speed Steel: High-Speed Steel is a particular type of carbon steel that can withstand high temperatures while maintaining constructional integrity, specifically the hardness.
Coating Based type
Black Oxide: Black Oxide drill bits are ver economical and provide corrosion protection. It increases tempering, relieves stress, reduces chip welding and galling, aids in retaining lubricants.
Titanium Nitride (TiN): This drill bits are comparatively expensive but very effective. Besides increasing hardness, they also provide production increasing thermal barrier and longer lifetime. TiN also gives you all other facilities same as black and bronze oxide.
In the end, we decided to give you one product we think appropriate for you. But this has been tough for us because we have all these great drill bit sets on this list.
After discussing with many professionals and practically using all the bits in this review, we decided to go with Neiko 10037A Left Hand Drill Bit Set because it is great for most drilling purposes. It’s an extraordinary combination of M2 High-Speed Steel for highest durability, 135-degree Split performance Tip and TiN coating for better heat resistance. For the unmatched efficiency in drilling metal surface, Neiko would be the perfect deal for you.
Let us know if you think any other tool belt or tool box should have been on the list. We will be happy to hear from you.