Last Updated on
Metal drill bits are made specially to bore through metallic surface. They are also known as high-speed steel (HSS) bits for, and usually come in black color.
They are much durable and more expensive than regular drill bits. Pierce through woods and plastic as well, but they are usually used on metal surfaces. Let's take a look on the best drill bits for metal.
Table Of Contents
- Top 5 Best Drill Bits for Metal
- 01. DEWALT DW1361 Drill Bit Set Review (Best Titanium Drill Bits For Metal)
- Compare With "Kobalt Titanium Metal Twist Drill Bit Set"
- 2. Irwin Tools Drill Bit Set Review (Best Cobalt Bits For Wood & Metal)
- 3. Black & Decker BDA91109 (Cheap Drill Bit Set)
- 4. Craftsman Drilling and Driving Set Review (Best all purpose driver bit set)
- 5. Neiko Left Hand Drill Bit Review (Best left-hand drill bits)
- Compare With "Titan Tools Left Hand Drill Bit Set"
- Facts to consider when buying best drill bits for metal
Top 5 Best Drill Bits for Metal
01. DEWALT DW1361 Drill Bit Set Review (Best Titanium Drill Bits For Metal)
Starting this list with the most modern set of pilot point durable drill bits, coated with Titanium. This 21 piece bit set will cover all your household needs. They have a good image for making clean holes in the surface.
- It can make clean and precise holes.
- Tapered-Web for extreme durability and reduced breaking.
- Highly economical and ideal for household applications. Many construction workers also use them for commercial purpose.
- The Titanium pilot point makes sure the bits last for very long.
Titanium Pilot Point is a unique type of tip that has three edges to cut. The center edge is taller than the side ones. When the tip is covered with Titanium, it is called Titanium pilot point. This type of drill bit lasts longer than usual twist drill bits.
These drill bits are very fragile. While working, they can break due to massive rotational force and pressure.
- Titanium pilot point for longer bit life.
- Starts on contact for cleaner holes.
- Tapered web for durability.
- It’s ideal for residential applications and commercial use
- No premium drill bits.
- Not strong enough.
Compare With "Kobalt Titanium Metal Twist Drill Bit Set"
Kobalt 21-piece drill bits are also coated with Titanium that’s why they are very durable. But we didn’t include it on our list for the reasons mentioned bellow:
- Not a one piece construction. That’s why it can break from the joint.
- The cutting edge becomes dull very easily after few uses.
- The coating is sticky. That’s why dirt can stick to the drill bit and get rusty very quickly.
- Sometimes they Wooble a bit which prevents the bit from making clean holes.
2. Irwin Tools Drill Bit Set Review (Best Cobalt Bits For Wood & Metal)
These drill bit set got positive reviews from everyone who used it. The unique rubber-molded case is a great addition to the set. Irwin is a popular company who makes the best drill bits for metal.
If the set accidentally falls from your hand, the bits won’t be damaged at all due to the rubber molded case.
- Extremely heat resistant. Due to the fast rotational speed of drill, regular bits often get hot and meltdown, especially the cutting edge. But you won’t face this problem with this set.
- The Heavy Duty Web-Construction gives the bit a long life and Strong Body.
- The bits have 5% Cobalt in them for increased lifetime and protection against rust.
- 135-degree split tip ensures that the drill bits stays in the center and don’t walk away from the point.
The bits are hard, but they are liable to break if pressurized more than they require. That’s why it’s better not to use them on hard and tough surfaces.
- 135-degree split tip that minimizes walk.
- 5% Cobalt.
- Heat and abrasion resistance.
- Heavy-duty web construction ensures strength and durability.
- Set’s rubber molded case protects the bits.
- They are little brittle.
3. Black & Decker BDA91109 (Cheap Drill Bit Set)
This set is mostly suitable for home base projects.In a comparatively low price, you get a bunch of 1-2 inches bits which are a complete pack for your need.
- The bits come in a portable storage case.
- This set contains ideal sizes of drill bits that are often used for household applications and projects.
- Comes with different varieties of drill bits to drill through wood, metal, masonry and plastic.
- The bits are strong enough to face much pressure.
Bits are sometimes very fragile. That’s why they should be kept in a hard storage box. A portable storage box also allows taking them anywhere quickly and keeps the bits safe from falling off and losing.
The cutting edge of the tip wears out very easily. Unless you sharpen it, you can’t get a clean hole.
- The cutting edge of the tip wears out very easily. Unless you sharpen it, you can’t get a clean hole.
- Varieties of drill bits for metal, wood, masonry and plastic.
- Cheaper and stronger.
- Bits are not durable.
4. Craftsman Drilling and Driving Set Review (Best all purpose driver bit set)
This Craftsman set has a total of 100 driving, and drilling pieces including Drill stops, bits, Allen key, nut drivers, spade bits, stubby screwdriver, driver bits, and folding case.
- The set has 22 drill bits, 1 Allen Key, three drill stops, 9 Nut Drivers, three spade bits, one stubby screwdriver, and 61 driver bits.
- Lubricants on the bit body to reduce friction and increase efficiency.
- This set has Power drill bits and inserts drill bits to fill your driving need.
- A built-in storage compartment in the case makes sure the bits don’t spill.
Many cases can’t keep the pieces inside stacked in their places. But this storage case has a separate compartment that allows the bits and other small pieces to stick to its area.
The tips of the bits are very fragile. They quickly split and tears apart. Use carefully on hard surfaces.
- 100 different bits.
- Good for DIY projects.
- Sharp quality.
- Lubed up.
- Tips cracked off.
5. Neiko Left Hand Drill Bit Review (Best left-hand drill bits)
Last but not the least, it is the best left-hand drill bits set in the market. The bits are coated with Titanium Nitride which makes them extremely durable and suitable to work in any situation.
Titanium Nitride (TiN): Titanium nitride aka TiNite is an extremely hard ceramic substance. They are often used as a coating on titanium alloys, carbide, Aluminum, and Steel components to improvise the substrate's properties.
- The bits are made of High-Speed M2 Steel for better efficiency on multiple surfaces.
- 135-degree split point twist design prevents walking and increases the cutting speed with self-centering.
- Left-hand design can also be used with a screw extractor to remove broken fasteners.
- Attachable and reversible drills to remove bolts, screws, and studs.
This set only comes in 7 limited sizes which are not enough to handle all household applications.
- 135-degree split point to increase cutting speed.
- Left-hand bits made of high-speed M2 steel.
- Titanium nitride coating.
- Attachable to reversible drills to remove bolts, screws, and studs.
- Poor material quality.
Compare With "Titan Tools Left Hand Drill Bit Set"
Both Neiko 10037A and Titan tool are developed for left-handers, but we didn’t add Titan on our list for the following reasons:
- The labeled size is not always accurate.
- The materials used to make the bits are cheap.
- They are extremely fragile as well. It can be very annoying when your bits break in the middle of your work.
You may also like to know
Facts to consider when buying best drill bits for metal
Material: Try to purchase a drill bit that has 5-8% cobalt inside it. Such amount of Cobalt makes the bit more strong and efficient.
Length: Durability depends on length. The toughness of the bit decreases when the length is increased. That’s why shorter cobalt bits are a good choice as they withstand Breaking twisting and spinning.
Size: Make sure to pick a set that includes drill bits of various sizes. Availability of different size can ease up your project.
Tip style: Penetration capacity depends on the tip style. V-Point, Split point, brad point, tapered point and fish points are useful against metal.
How to Choose a drill bits?
Types of drill bit
Types are based on two facts – Material used in the bit, and the coating over the bit.
Material Based type
High Carbon Steels: Drill Bits are made of both high and low carbon steel, but for different purposes. However, Only the High Carbon Steel is used to make drill bits for cutting metal.They have a better temper than low-carbon steels, so they require less maintenance, like sharpening, and hold their effectiveness and last longer.
High-Speed Steel: High-Speed Steel is a particular type of carbon steel that can withstand high temperatures while maintaining constructional integrity, specifically the hardness.
Coating Based type
Black Oxide: Black Oxide drill bits are ver economical and provide corrosion protection. It increases tempering, relieves stress, reduces chip welding and galling, aids in retaining lubricants.
Titanium Nitride (TiN): This drill bits are comparatively expensive but very effective. Besides increasing hardness, they also provide production increasing thermal barrier and longer lifetime. TiN also gives you all other facilities same as black and bronze oxide.
In the end, we decided to give you one product we think appropriate for you. But this has been tough for us because we have all these great drill bit sets on this list.
After discussing with many professionals and practically using all the bits in this review, we decided to go with Neiko 10037A Left Hand Drill Bit Set because it is great for most drilling purposes. It’s an extraordinary combination of M2 High-Speed Steel for highest durability, 135-degree Split performance Tip and TiN coating for better heat resistance. For the unmatched efficiency in drilling metal surface, Neiko would be the perfect deal for you.
Let us know if you think any other tool belt or tool box should have been on the list. We will be happy to hear from you.